Over time, we've come to have a set routine to our day... I wake her up, get her ready for school, feed her, walk her to school, pick her up, give her lunch... maybe take her to the park or the shops, spend some time doing puzzles or reading-writing, have dinner, bedtime...
Pretty routine stuff for any parent-child combo. What makes our time special is the little rituals we have.
Every morning, the first thing she does upon waking up is ask -
'Dad, where's my mum?'
We brush our teeth, which has a method, and she sips on her water, swirls it around her mouth and mimics me as I use my mouthwash... etc.
One of our most special little quirks is a 'Battery Charge'.
A battery charge happens when I am exceptionally tired, and am generally lying down, I ask Divu to give me a battery charge. As she thinks the cure to everything in the world is a kiss and a cuddle (Which might just be true), She climbs up on me, gives me a tight hug and kisses me, until she thinks I am sufficiently charged up. Then she lets go and I have to yell 'BATTERY CHARGE' and grab her and tickle her... She does this to me without fail everyday... I don't need to ask... but I must admit it is probably the brightest spot of my day.
So today we were in the supermarket, having done our shopping and on the way back into the car, I was on the phone with Shonali when my phone battery died. I cursed in frustration and she asked me what happened. I told her that my battery is dead. Without a word, she grabbed a hold of my leg and started kissing my jeans.... charging my battery!
It was a funny sight, and an elderly lady passing by whooped with delight upon the sight. I couldn't have been prouder. My daughter, thought enough to percieve a problem and try and solve it without anyone asking. And just the fact that she thought to do that was enough to charge my batteries for a lifetime... not that I won't be looking forward to a full battery charge come tomorrow!
No comments:
Post a Comment